Missed the general description of this software? Check it here. This manual covers both WordPress and Joomla. Read "usergroup" as "siterole" and vice versa.
With this import method you can grant access to your employees/ students/ classes with pre-set username/ usergroup/ password/ contact info which the webmaster prepares off-line in a .csv file. Re-importing the same file processing new accounts only is possible.
Using import ID's enables you to migrate existing useraccounts from another website where userid is the key field of the user.
The system works in 3 steps.
Some main understandings
- Key in the .csv file is the "email" field (see section upload & generate)
- Passwords can be entered plain text. The software saves it encoded.
- CSV File needs to imported and saved as UTF8 separated with “semicolon” and “comma” with .txt or .csv extension.
- After import, (on Joomla optionally), the system will sent out an email with 'login details' to each created user
- For performance reasons, keep a maximum of 1000 users per import batch.
Step 1: Download the example file
And example file is provided within the package installation/ plugin backend.
Download file “preset-value-example.csv” after you started the wizard. For best practice use a true .csv editor like Calc from openoffice.
Using MS excell is possible but will probably result in unexpected behaviour.
Use import options: “UTF8”, “semicolon” and “comma separated”.
Step2: Prepare the .csv file (Joomla)
Prepare all desired values per line or delete any columns not used.
- (userid) see setting "Import userid"
- usergroup (can be single, or multiple divided by dash: 2-4-5)
Optional columns (for contact creation)
- address, country, telephone, mobile, position, suburb, state, postcode, fax, webpage, misc, linkAname, linka, linkBname, linkb linkCname, linkc, linkDname, linkd, linkEname, linkeaddress
Remarks on columns:
- To inspect available usergroups ID's go to "Admin panel -> User Manager -> User groups"
- To inspect additional field like “address” go to "Admin panel -> Plugins -> User Profile" These fields will map "Components -> Contacts".
As of Joomla 3.6.4 Joomla comes with User fields & Field groups as extension within the User section. In the new software version (to be developed) we will adapt this new approach.
Step 2: Prepare the .CSV file (WordPress)
Set all desired values per line or delete any columns not used.
- role (use role name)
Remarks on columns:
- nickname: should be unique per user
- To inspect available siteroles go to "Settings -> General -> New user default role" (use smallcaps in .csv)
Step 3: Upload .csv and generate users
As this software really works and it sents out emails...... TEST FIRST with a small .csv import (like your your own email address) or on a localhost before importing in a live environment!
Select the created .csv file and upload it. Now, set the below parameters as desired.
Overwrite existing users?
This setting is extremely powerful and dangerous at the same time. Use with caution and test first!
- YES: Email address is primary key here. Users with that email address will be overwritten.
- NO: This enables you to re-import users from the same .csv file. Existing users based on the email address will be skipped during the import process. Only for newly available email addresses accounts will be created.
Require password reset: After first login, do you want to force new users to change their password?
Account enabled: (Joomla only) Enable/ Disable account after successful import
Account activated: (Joomla only) Activate/ De- activate account after successful import
Sent email: (Joomla only) Select yes to automatically sent out login detail emails to the created users (for testing purposes, use no).
Import userid: (advanced setting) if you want to import pre-set userids set this to yes and make sure your .csv contains the userid column.
Start the import by clicking on "Save and Close" in the left-top, the system will return a success or error message.
Do you like our software & support? Please write a small review in the JED!